Tuesday, March 6, 2012

Travel Notes



As I travelled through the airports jumping from one plane to another, it dawned on me for the first time since the procurement of plane tickets that I was really going back to the land of my birth for the first time since I began my education in the US. It is one thing to “know” you are going home, and another to actually “be” on your way home. It was surreal moment, hastened by the endless array of chatter, clusters of people and bags and loud aircraft engines roaring like thunder on a dark stormy night.



My day began calmly at 5am. Due to some unexplainable circumstance, maybe a mixture of excitement and nervousness, I woke up earlier than my alarm clock would have wanted. After wriggling around for an hour, I began getting ready for my journey. Stephne took me to the airport where I was met with the jubilant facesof Jan, Susan, Marshall, Madelyn and Melissa. After whatseemed like an eternity, the united airlines representative finally printed outmy boarding passes and checked-in my luggage. Due to a weekend merger with Continental airlines, the computer systems of united were not working efficiently as expected. The crew (Stephne, Jan, Susan, Marshall, Madelyn andMelisa) hanged out with me, shared jokes, took silly pictures and ended with a wonderful time of prayer, lead by Susan. It was a beautiful moment and I wish it had not ended. It was at this point that Susan asked me to pick up a rock from a selection she provided (I picked one shaped like a heart). She then instructed me to keep this rock in my pocket at all times in Ghana (the rock signifies something similar to the meaning of Ebenezer). I was also handed a stack of envelops (dated March 5 to March 11) by Melissa at this point and instructed sternly by Susan, not to open them until the date on each envelop becomes. After more hug goodbyes, I proceeded to the TSA checkpoint forsecurity protocol. This went without a glitch. Jan and Stephne stayed


with meuntil I was through with this process.



Thank you guys so much for coming. It meant (still does) a lot to me. You are awesome. J



The flight from Lexington was good. However, the flight from Chicago to Dulles was another story. We were delayed for almost 2 hours due to the aforementioned problem caused by the merger. I was glad I had a 6 hour layover, at Dulles, before my flight to Accra. Eventually, we were able to get on the plane and depart for Dulles. I was worn out, mostly hungry, by the time I arrived at Dulles airport.After locating my boarding gate, I proceeded to the nearest Wendy’s for a spicy chicken sandwich combo (my favorite item on the menu). To my surprise, they did not have sweet tea (I suppose sweet tea is just a southern thing). I was really hoping for some final indulgence in the sweetness of a well brewed tea before departing for Ghana. But, I digress.


At approximately 9:45pm, the boarding process, for flight 990 to Accra, began.Since I was travelling with an economy ticket, I decided to wait until the last minute to get in line for boarding. Seemed like a good Idea at the time but realized, too late, that it was a big mistake. Every traveler is allowed tobring one carry-on luggage and a personal item like a purse or shoulder bag on the plane. However, most Ghanaian economy passengers do not subscribe to this rule. Thus, the overhead compartments were all full due to some passengerscarrying more than the required amount on the plane. Therefore, my carry-on travelled within the cargo compartment, a rather unsettling feeling because my carry-on would have been my only source of survival (clothing, etc) in the unfortunate occurrenceof lost luggage.



The flight to Accra was pleasant. I slept intermittently for 6 hours (thanks to Advil pmand Tom’s noise cancellation head phones). I was not a fan of the dinner(choice of chicken or beef pasta) served on the plane. I think this was due to a conscious effort on my part to avoid any meals (the spicy chicken is excludedJ) in an attempt to prepare my tastebuds for a Ghanaian culinary delight upon arrival. More on Ghanaian culinary delights in upcoming posts. Stay tuned.


We arrived in Accra around 2:23pm local time. I couldn’t contain my excitement anymore and began smiling continuously. I think the lady who sat beside me thought I was nuts (she had observed me taking an Advil pm and my anti-malarial medicine),she looked at me in a funny way when she saw that. The sporadic smiling may have confirmed her suspicions. Anyway, it was a beautiful day in Accra (about 84oF, semi-cloudy with 11mph winds and negligible humidity).


**After a “quick”immigration process, I proceeded to the baggage claim area for my bags. After about 15 minutes, I began freaking out because none of my bags could be located.I then remembered that things run slowly in Ghana and calmed down (more like God calmed me down). I waited for infinity (seriouslyJ) and finally, noticed the duffle bag containing the glasses. I breathed a sigh of relief. Thank you, Susan Nelson,for making the baggage tags, and Tom and Vicki, for suggesting this idea. It really made it easy to identify my bags. I met my mom shortly after that, took a taxi and checked in at the quest house. She was ecstatic and I believe only a mother could know how to describe her emotional status as she warmly hugged me.By the way, you know you have been westernized (as a Ghanaian) when the firstthing you do after checking-in is to look for the AC.

I’m home.Thank you God, for your protection, grace and favor. And to those who made this possible, Onyame nhyira mo paa (God bless you so much).

And now to Him who is able to do, immeasurably more than what we can ask or imagine, to you be the Praise and Glory.


Love


Manny

**There is a gap that needs to be filled with regards to this paragraph. I will do it once the vision team gets to Ghana.

6 comments:

  1. Manny,
    I am so excited for you. Jason & I can totally relate to the sweet tea experience (we had a similar one in the Miami airport). I hope you have a wonderful week, and we can't wait to see you on Monday!
    BTW - I added the airport sendoff pic (and then tried to fix some of the spacing issues it caused).

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank God for your safe arrival! Love to your Mother, and all of your family & friends! BKE

    ReplyDelete
  3. Manny
    I am so glad to hear that you made it home safely. I can imagine the joy you felt when you saw your parents again. It is the same for me when I get to go home. Enjoy any minute of it. May God Bless you and guide you to make this mission a true blessing for many people.
    Keep in touch. Prayers are sent daily.

    Take care. Iolanda

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wonderful to read this! Thanks for keeping us updated!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Manny,
    Glad to hear you made it safely home. I am wondering if you were looking forward to eating any particular food that you were unable to get here and what that might be. I bet your family is overjoyed to see you after all this time.
    The rest of the team left today. I hope it will be a richly rewarding trip for all.

    ReplyDelete