Friday, February 3, 2012

Oatmeal in My Sink and Isaiah 41:13


I never thought I would go to Africa. I dislike being hot. I generally avoid the outdoors. I am scared of bugs. I am a bit of a germaphobe. I am afraid to talk with people who aren't like me. On my high school trip to Europe the shining white toilets (the standing as opposed to sitting kind) in Italy freaked me out. I was grateful that we only jogged through the corner of Italy on our way from France to Switzerland. I never thought I would go to Africa. Then again, I never thought I would go to seminary. God works in mysterious ways. As soon as I get Bono's voice out of my head, I'll remember how those relate. Oh, yeah, four years ago, Jesus bought our house.

Back in 2007, Jason & I held comfortable jobs at Florida State University. We both love being in school more than most anything else. At FSU, one benefit was free classes. So, why did we come to seminary? When I said, I’ll go “when our house sells” in a bad market when houses weren’t selling, Jesus bought our house. So right now when uncertainty creeps in, I can have faith that we are supposed to be here. Even in our rented house that isn’t equipped with a garbage disposal.

Back to Africa - at seminary I have befriended so many followers of Christ from all around the globe. I love to hear their stories and especially to eat their food. Communicating is still a challenge for me; I talk too fast and listen too slowly. But I have learned to love the ways Christ is at work all over the globe. And I hope I am learning to love the people all over the globe.

Going to Africa terrifies me. Everything from the immunizations to the village “restroom” facilities scares me. But, I believe that God wants to show me His love and the beautiful work that he weaves through his people of all colors and fabrics and cultures. It will stretch me, but I hope that this girl whose stomach turns cleaning oatmeal out of the kitchen sink will learn to love so much that outhouses and mosquitos won’t be so scary. I can’t wait to see how God will work on me. Even more, I can’t wait to see God’s work in the people in Ghana and be able to share it here! And I am so thankful that God is holding my hand through my fears. Isaiah 41:13
(Oh, and Manny promises that his dad’s guesthouse comes equipped with bathrooms and window units - whew!)

2 comments:

  1. You are truly stepping out in faith--I admire you and all the team members so much!

    ReplyDelete
  2. oh yeah, forgot to mention that the mosquitoes look like birds in africa. you need a sling shot to kill one..lol

    ReplyDelete