Wednesday, February 15, 2012

Fuzzy Vision/Fuzzy Memory

I once excelled in Math. In high school, I traded in a family vacation to Florida beaches to go to the state math meet. Best I recall, I didn't place too well, but my memory is getting fuzzy. I don't remember much about the event. I definitely don't remember much about the math.

Most of you know that the 4 days of vision clinics are a big part of our trip to Ghana. Perhaps you know that I volunteered to train alongside Vicki to be able to assist in the eye exams and operating the equipment.

Boxes, really big ones, have been arriving. I keep pushing them to the back of my mind and into the maintenance room at Andover. But, they can't stay there forever!
Today, I decided to be brave. I did more than flip through my "Kendall Optometry Ministries Optical Team Training Manual." I actually started to read it. I made it to page 4 - calculating spherical equivalents (SE). SE=S+1/2(C) unless C < -2.00. OK. So the math isn't that difficult. But Sphere, Cylinder, and Axis are unfamiliar to me. Even before you get to the "presbyopia add". I have no idea how we are going to pull this off. I know that unless God goes before and with and behind us, we won't.

That brings me to another big event for the week. We have been recruiting partners committed to praying for us in the remaining weeks before the trip, for our service during the trip, and for our adjustment on our return.

We are so grateful for those who have agreed to partner with us and support us by their prayers. We hope that you will, too! Without prayer, we will never be physically, mentally, emotionally, and spiritually prepared for this trip. I know it'll take divine guidance for me to be able to take accurate measurements and record the right data to find the perfect fit to bless someone with clear vision. But, if the Great Physician can cause the blind man to see by putting mud on his eyes (John 9:6) , I guess he can help me learn equations and how to work machines. So, please pray for God's work and that our human weaknesses won't interfere with His great design for this trip.

And, if you are an optical professional, I am sure that there is still room on our flight for you!

2 comments:

  1. Whew! I finally figured how to comment on this blog! I am praying that God will enable Mary Esther and Vickie to take accurate measurements, and to fit each person with the glasses they need. I pray that He will be glorified in all that is said and done. God bless you all! BKE

    ReplyDelete
  2. I will be praying for you! I know you are a math whiz too so I'm not worried that the people will get the wrong prescriptions.

    ReplyDelete